A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

100-Mile Diet Week | Inventory

I made a list of all the local edibles -- from the Farmer's Market, Bluebird Gardens, Native Harvest, and an Amish farm -- that exclusively represent my range of choices and ingredients for wood this week. I added to the list the trade items I've used so far: salt, sugar, olive oil, and lemon.

I'm not a natural cook -- I tend to graze throughout the day on a variety of individual food items eaten separately -- and so this diet poses a challenge. How do I transform a mound of local produce into enough satisfying meals for an entire week?

Keep in mind, my diet is limited to items that were grown, processed, packaged and sold within 100 miles of my apartment. That means homemade bread is off limits, unless I can find flour from grains that were grown, harvested, winnowed, and ground all within 100 miles.

So far, the only grains I have are wild rice and dried hominy. I have no sources of protein yet; I still have to investigate sources of local meat, eggs, and dairy. I have parsley and shiitake mushrooms for flavoring (yes, the mushrooms were produced within a hundred miles -- I saw the logs were they grew myself). For starches, I have two potatoes, an acorn squash, a spaghetti squash, and a sweet squash. For desert, I have watermelon. And then I have a ton of veggies: three bunches of kale, two bunches of Swiss chard, a bag of string beans, two regular cucumbers, two lemon cucumbers, and an eggplant. I bought a green tomato, too, but I ate that as soon as I got home to tide myself over while cooking lunch.

My task for this afternoon is to look examine my inventory carefully and plan out meals for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment