A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

100-Mile Diet | Sources and Sacrifices

The Cass Clay dairy products I bought said they were from cows not treated with hormones (this was in the fine print), but nothing was mentioned about how the cows lived out their daily existence. I doubt they are on sustainable farms, grazing on diverse forage in a green pasture. They probably live inside, in a high-tech barn on an industrial dairy farm.

After visiting several sustainable farms in the Fergus Falls area, I have become extra sensitive to the origin of my food. I wonder, where is the farm? What does it look like? Are the cows outside year-round, or are they contained in pens filled with their feces?

I felt bad buying Cass Clay dairy products not knowing more about their source-farms. Eating locally should, ideally, bring me closer to the source of my food. But until I identify local farms from whom I can purchase products directly, in some ways I remain as disconnected as I was before.

I am happiest with my purchases from the vegetable farms that I toured in person, where I spent several hours talking with the farmer about his methods and philosophy. I loved cooking "Dallas' kale," which I didn't wash because I know he washes everything three times. I also like having two bunches of Swiss chard to compare: one from Ryan at Lida Farm, and one from Dallas' farm, Forest Glen. I think of the produce as "Ryan's" or "Dallas'," rather than as "just Swiss chard."

Tonight, I cooked Ryan's Swiss chard, mixed with Dallas' kale, in garlic from Mark Boen's farm -- possibly picked by my classmate, Andy, and sold to me by Mark's wife, Diane.

As I was eating my bowl of greens, I couldn't separate the food from the knowledge of where it was grown. Each ingredient (except the olive oil, my trade item) felt personal -- it had an emotional and intellectual significance.

That's what eating local should feel like.

No comments:

Post a Comment