A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Monday, September 13, 2010

100-Mile Diet | Much Better with Practice

Day 3 of the 100-Mile diet, and I'm kind-of getting used to it. I've been cooking up a storm; in the past 24 hours, I've made: a pumpkin pie from scratch, a Swiss chard and onion quiche; mashed squash with maple syrup; a baked potato; and beef stew with hominy, tomatoes, carrots and green beans. I've also prepared an egg bake that is "sitting" in the fridge until it's ready to be cooked; it has Swiss chard, shiitake mushrooms, onions, and Bongard's marble jack cheese.

My egg bake also has Dakota bread from the Falls Baking Company, although that item was a bit of a stretch. The flour in the bread comes from Northern Minnesota, but they guessed their source was about 150 miles away. I felt like that was close-enough -- it was Minnesota flour, and the bread was baked 1/2 block from my house by a locally-owned bakery -- so I called it good and bought it to use in the egg bake.

For the pumpkin pie, I had to use pumpkin spice mix and baking mix (for the crust) -- two more trade items. The quiche also had a crust made from the baking mix.

The beef stew, however, is entirely local. It's pretty good, too -- despite having been made without a recipe by someone who can't really cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment