A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Natural Step Condition 4 - Applied to My Life

CONDITION 4: Resources must be used fairly and effectively in order to meet basic human needs globally.

The fourth principal of TNS is to promote equality and social justice in human societies, allowing every individual the opportunity to meet his or her basic needs. This encompasses the protection and preservation of resources - such as clean water, unpolluted air, and healthy soil - across the planet, as well as the protection and preservation of human rights.

I believe strongly in this goal, but I fear it will be the hardest to achieve. Since the dawn of civilization, there has been war, conflict, oppression, and inequality among humans. Much of our current economy is built on the hard labor and exploitation of disenfranchised individuals - especially in developing countries. Our current economy needs people who are desperate enough to take on the "dirty" jobs that the privileged classes shun - jobs like working in industrial slaughter houses.

However hard the challenge, I also believe it's possible for this to change. I can help create this change by not supporting businesses or buying products that rely on the exploitation of the world's poor and disenfranchised. I can choose to patronize businesses with a record of treating their employees well and working with suppliers who similarly value fair trade, human rights, and worker safety. In addition, I can make commitments to volunteer and serve in my community.

COMMITMENTS: Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I already attended the volunteer orientation session, and I will aim to work one day per month building affordable housing. Volunteer to teach English for the Minnesota Literacy Council. I signed up for volunteer training that begins in July. Get involved with the "Farm Raising" event in Northeast Minneapolis, helping to plant a 50' x 50' farm at St. Olaf Community Campus. Help my friends and neighbors with projects focused on growing organic food for urban populations. For example, this week I am going to a friend's house to install vegetable gardens on the rooftop of his garage. Next week, I will help out on an organic farm that grows produce to give away to food shelters. Advise a non-profit, End of the Spectrum, on fundraising. End of the Spectrum's mission is to create sustainable, productive living environments for children and adults with autism. Partner with a fellow unemployed Minnesotan, offering him help with cover letters so he has a better chance of finding a job. Support companies that are committed to the well-being of their employees, such as New Balance. Seventh Generation, SmartWool, and other companies listed as "best places to work." Instead of buying Christmas gifts for my friends, agree to pool money to donate Heifer International. I did this last year with my friends; I will try to make it a tradition. Become a member of the Land Stewardship Project, which teaches people how to become farmers and promotes policies advancing sustainable agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment