A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Corny Issues in Organic Farming

When I was visiting Fergus Falls last week, I had the opportunity to take a trip to Bluebird Gardens -- a 175-acre vegetable farm operated by Mark Boen. Bluebird Gardens is well known in the Fergus Falls area as a great example of sustainable farming.

I learned several interesting things from the tour. First, pigs do a great job churning compost so people don't have to do it by hand; Mark keeps them for that purpose. Second, there are a lot of regulations and red-tape that make CSAs difficult and expensive to operate. Third, many people want to buy organic produce in theory, but in practice they often pass over organic produce because it's not in perfect condition.

Actually, I already was aware of this problem with organic produce: sounds great in theory, looks not-so-great in the grocery store. But at Bluebird Gardens, we talked about it more in depth. You see, Mark wants to grow corn organically. However, when he grows corn organically, many ears end up with worms on the inside -- as many as 50%. When he tries to sell the organic corn to consumers, they freak out when they see the worms. It's a Catch-22.

What is a farmer to do? Grow corn organically, which is best for the environment but frequently "repulses" consumers due to the realities of produce grown in harmony with nature and bugs? Or use pesticides, and have nicer-looking produce to sell to a greater number of people?

No comments:

Post a Comment