A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

This week I decided to experiment with ways to make my use of deodorant more eco-friendly. It all started with this online class I am taking from MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design) on "Elements of Sustainability." Our assignment for this week is to come up with an eco-friendly product or package.

So I started thinking about deodorant -- particularly, how many sticks of it I use up and throw away each year. I decided to do some research.

I found a lot of information from people talking about the carcinogenic ingredients in deodorant, the ostensible connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's, etc. But what I was most interested in was the packaging. Is there a way to improve on it?

Well, yes there is. Eliminate it.

I found some recipes for homemade deodorant, and I cooked one up. It calls for 1/4 cup corn starch, 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 T coconut oil, and essential oils "to taste." I personally dumped a lot of essential oils in my batch.

I poured my concoction into muffin wrappers and stored them in the freezer. I've been using my own deodorant product for two days now, and so far it works.

I also purchased one of those deodorant crystals online... It should arrive tomorrow. I've tried the crystal in the past and it didn't work, but I'm willing to try again.

So much for designing a better deodorant package, when getting rid of packaging is a viable option (at least for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment