A city girl's explorations into sustainable living

Recently I found myself unemployed, pondering what I should do with my life next. All the career books say, do what you love. Find your passion. Follow your bliss. As if there is an answer -- a solution that will allow you to make money doing what you were meant to do. Help the world, help yourself, and make money!

For me, it's not so easy. I'm interested in a lot of things, but nothing that I am willing to invest in enough to turn it into a career.

I'm what Barbara Sher calls a "scanner," or what Margaret Lobenstine calls "the Renaissance Soul." At least that's what these self-help books for the career-stunted tell me.

What I tell myself is that I'm a learner. And what I want to learn about right now is sustainable living. I have a feeling it's what I'm supposed to be doing -- even if it doesn't pay. Even if it COSTS money to do.

I am meant to be a student right now, exploring peak oil, the economic crisis, climate change, sustainable agriculture, community building, permaculture, natural capitalism, Transition Towns, rural sociology, and my own spiritual growth. I honestly don't know where it will lead, or what it will amount to, but I invite you to share my journey.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

DPTW: Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

DPTW = Dream Place to Work.

This is the first installment of what I hope will be a series on places I'd love to work. It's about Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. They house a variety of rescued animals who were abandoned, abused or neglected. People can visit WFAS, located two hours out of New York City, and meet the animals.

As a city girl, I don't know much about farm animals but have always been curious about them. My interaction with farm animals has been limited to short trips to the barns during the Minnesota State Fair. What I remember from the State Fair is the animal barns being smelly, and the pigs being really huge.

I know that pigs are supposed to be really smart and make great pets. Once when I was in elementary school, we had a pig and its trainer come to an assembly. The pig did all sorts of tricks, and the trainer explained that pigs are smarter than dogs and cats.

Much later, I learned that pigs produce about 10 times the amount of feces as humans, and that pollution from industrial pig farms is a horrible problem in states like Iowa and North Carolina.

All this to say, I'm glad there is a place like WFAS where city folk can get to know farm animals in a compassionate, farm setting.

"WFAS is driven by the simple philosophy that kindness and respect to animals is our moral duty and that all the creatures that share this earth are here with us and not for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment